Join our team as our new Registrar
We are currently accepting applications for a full-time Registrar Position at Barrett Barrera Projects and projects+gallery.
To apply, send a cover letter, resume and three references to Barrett Barrera Projects’ Vice President, Kelly Peck at email@example.com.
The Registrar will be a key member of the team charged with managing the company’s St. Louis-based private art collection, as well as traveling with Barrett Barrera Projects’ growing slate of touring exhibitions for installation and deinstallation oversight. Work includes, but is not limited to: strategizing the best database system(s) to monitor objects and collections, cataloguing current and incoming collection items, facilitating movement of work between locations and institutions, and generating and managing loan agreements, facility reports, installation and deinstallation instructions, insurance paperwork, and all other documentation related to objects and loans.
The right candidate will have at least 5 years’ experience in collections management. Experience with traveling exhibitions and/or museum registration experience is highly desirable. Furthermore, this position requires a self-motivated person who is flexible, detail-oriented and able to see projects through to completion. The Registrar will work not only with management and staff, but with international and national partners/teams, therefore, should be able to maintain positive relationships with a variety of stakeholders, both internally and externally, and communicate effectively to teams onsite and on a day-to-day basis. Excellent project management skills and demonstration of such is a requirement.
Reports to: Vice President, Barrett Barrera Projects
Hours: Full Time (40 hours/week), 9am-5pm, Monday-Friday (hours may vary when traveling)
- Responsible for maintaining all documentation related to loans and the exhibition, as well as providing feedback to venues to ensure compliance with support from the Manager of Internal Affairs
- Maintains and oversees an inventory system for exhibition objects and related shipments, including an assessment of current systems and tools
- Generates and manages loan agreements, including initial outreach to participating designers/artists and oversight of loans for the duration of the exhibition with assistance from the Manager of Internal Affairs
- Handles all digital and paper documentation related to the permanent collection and exhibition loans in close collaboration with the Vice President and Curatorial team
- Secures images and non-exclusive licenses for loaned and permanent collection objects (both physical and media) and acquisitions
- Processes rights and reproduction requests
- Disseminates information as needed to other partners, researchers, and stakeholders
- Occasionally assists with transport of art objects
- Travels as needed for installation, deinstallation, and other needs
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Overall Collections Care and Management
- Works with Barrett Barrera Projects and projects+gallery staff to inventory and document permanent collection objects
- Advising Barrett Barrera Projects and projects+gallery staff on best practices in collection database management
- Works with Barrett Barrera Projects and projects+gallery staff to create/maintain condition reports for artworks in the permanent collection
- Works with Barrett Barrera Projects and projects+gallery staff to process both backlogged and new acquisitions
- Assists Barrett Barrera Projects and projects+gallery staff with preparing loan documentation and related shipping when necessary
- Manages and backs up all collections files on a regular basis
- Advises on major collections storage solutions
- Bachelor’s degree and five years professional experience in registration, collections management, or a related field required.
- Ability to communicate collections management systems and best practices to teams and direct workflow
- Must be willing to travel at least 8 weeks out of the year
- Demonstrated file and data management skills
- Possesses outstanding organizational and time-management skills
- High level of written and oral communication skills
- Ability to be communicative, team-oriented, and flexible to changing objectives
- Must possess the ability to work independently
- Possess knowledge of conservation/preservation practices
- Knowledge of copyright, fair use, and licensing in regards to the visual arts
- Demonstrates knowledge of standard museum or gallery procedures
- Experience with international shipping efforts
- Experience photographing objects for cataloguing or otherwise is desirable
- Basic computer skills required: Microsoft Office, ArtBase, and/or Airtable experience is desirable
- Ability to lift at least 40 pounds and undertake moderate physical activity
Barrett Barrera Projects is committed to diversity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer including Veterans and people with disabilities.